Thursday, April 29, 2010

B+

My sweet boy had some (unexpected) blood work done. He was such a trooper and managed to bat his tear-filled eyes and crack a smile, when they were finished taking 2 vials of blood. It was heartbreaking, but I have to take a step back and prepare myself for what lies ahead. It will be much harder than watching him have blood drawn.


For some reason when the twins were born, they never took blood to test their blood type. I am not sure why, but now we know that Landon is B+. I am sure Gray is also, but I just can't justify putting him through that just for my own knowledge.

So, now I am off to call the Red Cross and find out who else locally we could plan his blood donation through. We have chosen to use a direct donor instead of the blood bank at the hospital. From what I have been told, our donors would donate within 2 weeks of surgery, and the blood would be over-nighted to Dallas. Then it would be ready on standby in the case he needed a transfusion during surgery. We hope that is not the case, and are taking every precaution to lessen the chance (Procrit), but 20% of Dr Fearon's patients still require one. (That is much lower than the national average with is almost 100%)!
So far we know that my dad and James' mom are both B+!!

No comments: